Monday, November 10, 2014
From Classic to RDLC: Speed up report transformation with 1ClickFactory report upgrade transformation service
Rebuilding Classic reports in the RDLC is both a costly and time consuming task for Dynamics NAV Partners. To help Partners overcome this challenge, we at 1ClickFactory have created the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic report to RDLC transformation tool that speeds up transformation and enables Partners to meet project deadlines.
What is the 1ClickFactory Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic report to RDLC transformation tool?
What value does a Partner get when using 1ClickFactory Microsoft Dynamics NAV Classic report to RDLC transformation tool, compared to the standard Dynamics NAV layout function?
- It is the fastest and most efficient way to transform standard and custom Classic reports to RDLC with identical visual outcome. The service generates a report with the same design it had before (1:1).
- It transforms reports straight to NAV 2015. The transformed report object is ready to be designed in Dynamics NAV 2015. There is no need to import / compile / run the upgrade reports function in Object designer (development environment in NAV 2013) and then export to NAV 2015 – this process is fully automated.
- It transforms reports from versions as old as NAV 1.3 to NAV 2013, NAV 2013 R2, and NAV 2015, supporting all localizations and W1.
- The transformed report is optimized for performance in NAV 2013, NAV 2013 R2, and 2015. It includes an optimized dataset with labels and caption functionality. It also eliminates duplicated data set fields from the same data item. All these enhancements decrease dataset result size, and therefore significantly improve report execution time.
- The transformed RDLC report layout is visually compatible with the Classic report layout in static mode (print layout). Each layout element (size, position, font style) is transferred, which is essential to label and document RDLC report types.
- Our automated service typically transforms between 60% and 100% of each Classic report.
Special offer! Free Express service for reports with one data item
Using this service, Microsoft Dynamics NAV Partners can transform standard and custom Classic reports with a single data item to RDLC for FREE. The service generates a report with the same design it had before (1:1). Register to Partner Zone to try out this free transformation service.
How to transform Classic to RDLC with 1ClickFactory transformation tool (Express version)
Transforming your reports with the 1ClickFactory Classic to RDLC transformation tool is as simple as following these steps. In this example we use a report with one data item, so we can use the free Express version of the transformation tool.
Step #1: Prepare Classic report for transformation
- Download 1ClickFactory Classic Report to RDLC Export Tool
- Extract downloaded zip folder, and then import 1ClickFactory Report Export Tool_1402-03.fob to your NAV 2009 R2 database
- Locate and run the following report: 95575 1ClickFactory Report Export.
- In this example we will use report 5055 Contact - Cover Sheet.
- In the Object tab, enter 5055 in the ID filter.
- In the options tab, enter the file name of the file the exporter to save to and press OK.
- Now go to the 1ClickFactory Partner Zone and create a new project for Report transformation.
- Enter customer and solution names, choose Microsoft Dynamics NAV Report transformation to RDLC, and press continue.
- Choose your rts file, which was created with the report export tool, and press submit.
- After the transformation is complete, navigate to your project and add the report to your cart.
- In the cart, press confirm.
- You can now download the upgraded report from the projects menu.
Step #2: Import transformed report to NAV 2015
Since the 1ClickFactory report transformation service transforms reports straight to NAV 2015, there is no need to first import the report to NAV 2013 and run the Report Upgrade function. So, open NAV 2015 straight away and import the file downloaded from PartnerZone.
- Compile the report. Just like after a text file import, the object is not compiled.
In the next post I will share how to create a Word layout from the report that we transformed from Classic to RDLC.
Author of the post: 1ClickFactory Associate Paulius Grigas.